How to Edit the Resolution of an closed Issue

Alper AYKUT March 3, 2016

Hi I have 30 "Closed Issue" But Resolution : Wont Fix 

How Can I Closed Issue Resolution Change " Fix" 

is it possible Closed Issue Change Resolution ? 

Thankyou very much.

Best Regards.

5 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2016

There are a couple of things you need to think about here.

First, the closed status often has the "do not allow edit" flag set on it.  That means you can't just click "edit" and change things, and you can't use bullk-edit to change things.

Secondly, the resolution field is an odd one which is not on the edit screen and should never be added to it

So, the hard way to do this would be to get all your users to stop using JIRA, enable edit by hacking the workflow, add the resolution field to the screen, use bulk-edit to change the issues, then remove the resolution field from the edit screen and then undo the workflow hack.

A safer option is to add a an "edit resolution" workflow transition from closed to closed (maybe with a condition of "only admins") and make that go through a new "edit resolution" screen, or even just set the resolution in a post-function.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2016

I implement your last option in all my workflows. Eventually someone will want the resolution changed for some reason. I also have a required field 'Resolution Change Reason' in the transition screen.

Like Deleted user likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2016

It's what I do most of the time, depends on the client.  I like the "resolution change reason" field suggestion smile

Like Mouli likes this
Mouli July 22, 2019

An implicit filter to say the least.. the moment you touch it, it beomes all the more mandatory to be defined explicitly through Post Functions. else the task remains Incomplete..

Meenal Suneja June 17, 2020

So, the hard way to do this would be to get all your users to stop using JIRA, enable edit by hacking the workflow, add the resolution field to the screen, use bulk-edit to change the issues,: Please tell me how to add the resolution field to the screen

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2020

Go to project admin, find the "issue type screen scheme" and drill down into it to find the edit screen for the issue type(s) you want to edit, and that will take you to the screen definition.

Remember to remove it after the bulk edit to avoid your data being utterly mangled by users doing nothing wrong.

Anna Protopapa April 6, 2021

Hello,

I have edited the resolution field but the Resolution date is still empty. I did not find the resolution date to add it to the screen. Do you know how to set value to this field?

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2021

You can't edit resolution date, it's an internal thing. 

Did your edit of the resolution take it from unresolved (field empty) to a value, or were you just changing from one resolution to another?

Anna Protopapa April 20, 2021

The issue is unresolved. I set the resolution with a transition when a link issue is resolved. 

1 vote
menzelle.jacobs May 28, 2020

I added a transition (Add Missing Resolution) from Closed status back to Closed Status which is available for managers only. The transition brings up our resolution screen where we can edit the resolution. 

0 votes
kimiya majd October 15, 2019

hi 

yes it is possible to change the resolutions in jira issues 

you can use script runner field and then built in scripts and bulk edit resolution change your resolutions in issues 

kimiya majd October 15, 2019

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.5.8/jira/builtin-scripts.html

this is a plugin in jira and your admin can install it 

Prasad Andrews May 25, 2020

Hi @kimiya majd , If i change the resolution field then the Resolved date also changed.

i don't want to change the resolved date.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

The resolved date is the date the resolution was last changed.  It's calculated from that change.

Like kimiya majd likes this
0 votes
Benjamin Rose February 7, 2019

Hello,
My "solution" is a little late and I'm not very experienced either.
i'm in the process of getting involved with jira and have freedom to do anything. i started with a test ticket via an email that i own to follow my steps.
i removed the "editor", "author" and "observer". then opened the ticket again to close it again with the "solution", then added the remote participants again. so i can be sure that the customers and staff don't get any mails about the change of the ticket.
it's not a nice solution, but one that works.

Suggest an answer