How the Jira service Desk licence is determined on the basis of users?

Rahul Arora May 23, 2014

1) Let say I have enabled sign up mode "public" for my JIRA instance and someone sign up to it though I have keep restriction for the projects. Do that sign up person will be consider as "active User" and will be charge for licence cost even though I don't give him access to anything?

2) Need Clarification for being ACTIVE USER

4 answers

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2014

Hi Rahul,

an active user is a user that can login into your jira (even if he can't access none project). Your license has a user limit that consider all active users.

This is a link that could help you https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Get+a+List+of+Active+Users+Counting+Towards+the+JIRA+License

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2014

As a JIRA Admin, you can deactive users at your convenience.

This is all you need to know :

This is what Atlassian says : "An active user in JIRA is by definition any user account in the system with the "JIRA Users" global permission, i.e. anyone who can log in. Unlimited 'anonymous users' are permitted on all licenses.

If you have exceeded your license count, you will need to remove users or groups from the "JIRA Users" global permission. "

This is the official guide about user management (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-Deactivatingauser)

Hope this helps,

Fabio

0 votes
Rahul Arora May 23, 2014

@fabiook, need one more clarification:

Assuming that I can't go with private sign up mode feature:

Public sign up will create the JIRA user account itself once it completed. So if I need to disable anyone irrelevant for being added into JIRA or precisely not to be get charged, I have to uncheck the active status as JIRA admin for the created user/login ID.

0 votes
Rahul Arora May 23, 2014

@Fabio: So it means once user sign up JIRA account, he would be active user and would be consider as licence user?

Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2014

yes, it should be so

Suggest an answer