How should fix and affects versions be used for xray issue types?

h kay April 23, 2020

Hello,

I have seen documentation explaining that the fields ‘affects version’ and ‘fixed versions’ are for example:

Affects version is the version in which a bug or problem was found. Although it can be useful for tracking problems, it isn't used very often in Jira. Fix version is the version where you plan on releasing a feature or bugfix to customers.

The questions I have based on the explanation of the purpose of these two fields are:

1. Why are these two fields displayed in my xray test, test executions, test plans issue types, should we be using them here? e.g. if I populate fixed version with my release number, the test issue type is displayed under the release when really I would expect only requirements displayed under the release as releasable items (i.e. user story and bugs)
  2. Based on the answer to Q1, is it possible to not display these fields in my xray test issue type?
  3. Are there any other ways to track these test issue types were used for a specific version xx.xx?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 14, 2020

Hi @h kay 

Going straight to your questions:

Why are these two fields displayed in my Xray test, test executions, test plans issue types(...)?
Those fields are displayed on the Xray issue types by default, due to clients' demand on the earlier stages of the product.

(...)should we be using them here? e.g. if I populate fixed version with my release number, the test issue type is displayed under the release when really I would expect only requirements displayed under the release as releasable items (i.e. user story and bugs)
That is entirely up to you, we have seen many different version usage from our clients, and it is up to the customer to understand its company work methodology and actions.

Based on the answer to Q1, is it possible to not display these fields in my Xray test issue type?
Of course, you just need to remove them from the issues screens on your project, and they won't be displayed.

Are there any other ways to track these test issue types were used for a specific version xx.xx?
It is possible to do so using some of our built-in reports and enhanced JQL functions.

If you have any more questions, please reach out to us through our service desk.

Best Regards, 

Team Xray

h kay May 22, 2020

Thank you for your reply. It has been most useful to get your opinion on this. 

0 votes
Claudio Lande January 28, 2021

Hello Xray team,

Is there a way to configure Xray so that when Tests are created they do NOT inherit the requirement Fix version field?

It is very annoying to have to do it manually for any single test and people simply forget to do it...

Thank you in advance,

Claudio

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021

Hi @Claudio Lande 

That is the current behavior of Xray.

However, we have this improvement suggestion (XRAY-4365 ) reported and gathering the interest of our customers.
Please vote and watch it so that you can receive email alerts.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Rogério Paiva [Xray Support Team]

Suggest an answer