How should I manage build numbers with versions?

Maoz Melamed August 25, 2014

Hi,

I would like to add build numbers to each version, so I could set the build No. the issue was found, fixed and tested.

Should I add a new version for each build? or can I set one version as master (such as 1.0.0) and than add "build" versions (such as 1.0.0.34)

Regads,

Maoz

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dean Flamberg August 26, 2014
I prefer to use a Select List or Select List (Cascading) to record build information and keep Versions for the master release. Otherwise the Version list could get too large. To avoid having choices that don't apply to a particular version (e.g., one version may have 3 builds and another 4... or the build names could be different for different versions) I've used a cascade select list with the first field matching the Version number and the second field being the valid builds for that version.
1 vote
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2014

Hey Maoz.

On my opinion the best option that you have is to launch a new version (such as 1.0.0.34) for each build.

0 votes
Tiemco de Jong October 26, 2014

The options we are considering are:

• Create Labels for each build (upon the first found issue)
  • Automatically create version upon automatic build

The problem with Select List is that only JIRA Admins can modify the selection list.
The problem with versions is that there is no relationship in JIRA for component versions and release versions.
The problem with labels is that many labels will be created and only conventions prevent chaos.

Check out https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/50917

Cathy Campbell September 3, 2019

How do you automatically create version upon automatic builds? 

0 votes
Eric Mosley September 9, 2014

When you take the approach of creating different versions for each build, how do you pull release notes for the whole release (1.0)?  Also, wouldn't your reports also be skewed?

Suggest an answer