How set "Created" and "Updated" issue date values through REST API for "Ondemand Jira"

srinivasan radhakrishnan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Hi,

I am transfering bulk records ( ex: 5000 records ) from other sites to Jira. I am also using those information to create the issues in On demand jira.

I need to set "Created" and "Updated" date values respect to those records. How can set this values through REST API.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

You don't.

These fields are derived from the data on the issue at the time the issue is created or updated. You *can* set "created" as you import (I'm tempted to say you can set updated as well, but I'm really not sure). But once the issues are in Jira, you cannot directly change them.

That applies to the UI, let alone REST (and REST respects what the UI allows). If it was your own installation, you'd be able to write code to do the amendments, or even mess with them in the database (risky). But you can't do any of those things when on OnDemand.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2013

Adding to Nic answer: you should create a date custom fields ('i.e. imported date', 'originally created', 'last updated on external system') and maybe a text field (or select) containing the originating system (i.e. 'Bugzilla', 'Old Bugzilla', 'Excel files'). It may help you to trace the issue back (this can be further improved if you have URLs to the original issues).

HTH

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2014

Please comment and/or vote for this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-38572to get it sorted, eventually.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2014
I'm afraid that doesn't change the answer. You can't do it with rest. You will need to use csv
0 votes
Anne-Laure LUGAN March 11, 2014

To highlight the request, I will need to migrate more than 40 projects : the csv import is too laborious, just to ensure that creation and modified date matches to previous bug trackers...

Suggest an answer