How reopening issues affects resolved vs created counts

Jeremy Marquis June 10, 2013

As a new user, I see that after frequently reopening issues I get a resolved count that is greater than the number of issues created. In other words, my team has solved more issues than even existed.

Is there something I need to set up on a transition from resolved/closed to open? Am I using the tool wrong (such as, I should create new issues that reference closed ones rather than reopen)? How have you guys solved this.

I noticed this primarily because the "Created vs Resolved Chart" shows that all issues have been solved when they have not, or even that more solutions have been found than issues.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy Marquis June 12, 2013

OK, my fault, I didn't understand how the time scope affected the chart.

It shows [how many were created] and [how many were resolved] in the time window specified, NOT how many were resolved vs how many exist (including added during that time window).

So this chart shows how well you are catching up (green) or falling behind (red) on your total issues, not how close you are to resolving all issues. I thought it was the latter, like a task burndown visualization.

1 vote
Jeremy Marquis June 12, 2013

Can that accumulate multiple "resolved" flags for a single issue, so that it is counted as resolved multiple times?

I am seeing, for example, 35 issues resolved, but only 21 issues have been created.

Daniel Scalioni Carvalho April 16, 2018

I'm having this problem too.

When I click to show data on chart link, it shows correctly. But there is more solved issues instead of created issues. Same as Jeremy.

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2013

Hey Jeremy, create vs resolved chart would based on the resolution field in the issue. As long as the resolution field is occupied with values, it's considered as resolved.

One common problem is user usually have a custom reopen transition that did not set the resolution to empty. You may want to double check the resolution field value of those reopen issues?

Suggest an answer