How reopening issues affects resolved vs created counts

As a new user, I see that after frequently reopening issues I get a resolved count that is greater than the number of issues created. In other words, my team has solved more issues than even existed.

Is there something I need to set up on a transition from resolved/closed to open? Am I using the tool wrong (such as, I should create new issues that reference closed ones rather than reopen)? How have you guys solved this.

I noticed this primarily because the "Created vs Resolved Chart" shows that all issues have been solved when they have not, or even that more solutions have been found than issues.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

OK, my fault, I didn't understand how the time scope affected the chart.

It shows [how many were created] and [how many were resolved] in the time window specified, NOT how many were resolved vs how many exist (including added during that time window).

So this chart shows how well you are catching up (green) or falling behind (red) on your total issues, not how close you are to resolving all issues. I thought it was the latter, like a task burndown visualization.

Hey Jeremy, create vs resolved chart would based on the resolution field in the issue. As long as the resolution field is occupied with values, it's considered as resolved.

One common problem is user usually have a custom reopen transition that did not set the resolution to empty. You may want to double check the resolution field value of those reopen issues?

Can that accumulate multiple "resolved" flags for a single issue, so that it is counted as resolved multiple times?

I am seeing, for example, 35 issues resolved, but only 21 issues have been created.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,224 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot