How open a Jira 7 software project to Summary screen?

Sturla Holand November 17, 2016

We have upgraded from J 6.2.5 to J 7.2.4

In some projects the users are used to get the Summary screen as the startup-view. Now they get a scrumboard which only a few knows. How can we change this back to the Summary screen?  ... which I suppose must be a per project thing? 

3 answers

1 vote
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2016

Hi Sturla,

I think this is not possible in JIRA 7x (for "Software"/Agile type project). There is a feature request here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-42283, but it doesn't have many votes.

I found a bit of background in some older questions:

Edit (Nov 22, 2016) - Added more info below and updated to try to be clearer on the differences between Business and Software projects:

However, as you say, if you change back to "Business", you get a view with "Summary" at the top. Like this, right?:

business-project.jpg

Whereas for "Software" it looks like this:

software-project.jpg

Until you have created a board using "Create board". Then you get something like:

software-project-with-board.jpg

So are your "Software" projects not showing a board because one is not created yet?

In my experience as a user, JIRA "remembers" the view I was last looking at for a project and takes me there when I select that project, so I think you are right there too. It depends on the user.

Users also have the ability to set their "JIRA Homepage" (which is the page they get immediately after logging in), which might also be affecting your user's experiences. Info here, under the "Choosing your homepage" heading: http"s://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver072/managing-your-user-profile-829092579.html 

Hope this helps a bit.

Sam

0 votes
Sturla Holand November 22, 2016

Hi Sam

It is possible. We have JIRA Software, where I can choose projecttype Business or Software (new feature at least after  v6.2.5). In this case the projecttype was Software. When I changed to Business I got what I wanted and my first question is answered.

But still. Other projects of the Software-type, don't open with a board on the screen. Which rules are behind this behaviour?

• is it because there's no connected board?
  • is the rule common for all users, or is it in some way "remembering" how each user worked the last time.

The https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/jira-applications-and-project-types-overview-776637041.html article is a bit clearifying, but i it's not answering my questions.

best regards Sturla

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2016

HI Sturla,

You are right, I was thinking from the perspective of "Software" projects only, since that was mentioned in your question title. I will update my original answer to make that clearer and see if I can help with your other questions.

Sam

p.s. Just to be clear, I don't work for Atlassian, so I'm just trying to help out of kindness.

0 votes
Sturla Holand November 18, 2016

Hi Sam

It is possible. We have JIRA Software, where I can choose projecttype Business or Software (new feature at least after  v6.2.5). In this case the projecttype was Software. When I changed to Business I got what I wanted and my first question is answered.

But still. Other projects of the Software-type, don't open with a board on the screen. Which rules are behind this behaviour?

• is it because there's no connected board?
  • is the rule common for all users, or is it in some way "remembering" how each user worked the last time.

The https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver070/jira-applications-and-project-types-overview-776637041.html article is a bit clearifying, but i it's not answering my questions.

best regards Sturla

Suggest an answer