How not to let bulk change overwrite existing values fields (Component, affected version)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Hi All

Components and affect versions are multi select fields i.e. can hold more than one values in it.

Now if we are using bulk change feature to add a set of issues with a certain component we find that the old values in them gets overwritten.

e.. say Issue A has component X already in it. and i am bulk changing a set of issues which includes Issue A to add component Y to it. After bulk change i find that Issue A only has component Y andcomponent X is overwritten.

How can we prevent this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

I'm afraid you can't at the moment.

I am sure there is an issue raised about this in Atlassian's Jira, but it's not in my bookmark list. Possibly because I'm pretty sure it was raised in Jira 2.x, if not earlier...

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2014

Thanks Nic. I guessed so. Is there any workaround to this that you may think of?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2014

Script bulk changes externally is about the only thing I've done - a SOAP call to get the current values, work out what needs updating and perform an edit. (I'd use REST or the script-runner nowadays)

Madwaraj RJ June 29, 2017

Hi Nic,

I notice Affects version field is not seen during bulk change. I'd need to do bulk update with different value for 'Affects version' filed.....is this not possible with JIRA->Bulk change option? Am using JIRA 7.3.4.

thanks for your reply.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2017

The original answer is out of date, you can now add values to some fields, rather than overwrite.

If a field is not on the list of things you can bulk-edit, then the most likely reason is that it is not on the "edit" screen.

Madwaraj RJ June 30, 2017

yeah it is not on the edit screen. is there other way to have such fields also bulk-edited?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2017

To be able to do something in bulk-edit, you have to be able to do it to the issues. 

You'll need to add the field to the screen before you can bulk-edit them.

Madwaraj RJ July 2, 2017

Yes we will need to add the field required to be edited...is it possible to bring in new fields to the edit screen? If yes, will you help me with steps to achieve pls? Thx

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2017

Go check the project that the issues live in.  Have a look at the project admin screen, where you'll find the "issue type screen scheme".  Work your way down into that, looking for the "edit" screens for the issue types you need to change.

Suggest an answer