How migrate Jira from 3 diferents servers to another new server

Manuel Plaza May 27, 2020

Hello,

We have 3 Jira instances (v 8.0.2) in 3 diferents Linux servers (SLES 15) and we want to migrate and consolidate all of them in a new Jira instance (v 8.7.1) in a new Linux server (SLES 15 SP1).

Could you tell me how we have to proceed, please?

Thanks

3 answers

3 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2020

Hello @Manuel Plaza that won't be an easy task.

You need to pick 1 instance to be the final one. On it you must import every project you want to keep by doing project imports. These imply you have previously replicated the workflows fields and options for each of them. Once the merge of all the instances is done, then I would do the migration and upgrade to the final server.

I tried to keep it simple but certainly each item has many steps in the middle

Manuel Plaza May 28, 2020

Thank for your answer  @Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group .  We will consider it.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jannina Koskinen June 1, 2020

Hi @Manuel Plaza 

There is another app called Project Configurator for Jira which also does this for you and indeed reduces the manual work. 

It helps you to simulate and visualise your migration first, so you can see what changes would be applied before actually performing the task. If you need support and questions answered during your eval period with Project Configurator, the support is located here.

Regards

Jannina

Manuel Plaza June 2, 2020

Thank Jannina_Koskinen. We will consider this option too. Really the project is for the next quarter.

1 vote
Answer accepted
František Špaček _MoroSystems_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2020

Hello Manuel,

I would suggest looking up for an Atlassian partner and letting partner help you with that. Migrating and merging instances won't be an easy job, but it all depends on how are those Jiras big, what plugins you use, how much data is stored on every instance and what you want to retain.

There are plugins, which can help you migrating projects, issues and some settings, like schemes, workflows, screens etc. -  I can recommend https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211611/configuration-manager-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview . It will guide you trough, but you should have still expect lots of things which will be needed to do manually. If you use this plugin, you will simply end up with all 3 Jiras together in one instance, together with all schemes, fields and so on. This might have negative performance effect on final Jira instance.

Generally speaking, I would aim at building a new Jira, creating new schemes and configurations and then just importing issue/comments/whatever else you need. It will take more time, but it will be nice and clean Jira with all the data you need. But again it all depends on what is in them.

Have a nice day!

Manuel Plaza May 28, 2020

Thank @František Špaček _MoroSystems_ . Instances are not too large. As for the plugin, we will evaluate it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events