How many times can I edit a JIRA issue?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2016

I have a large JIRA instance where a script has updated one issue 5060 times. Now the Issue History tab won't load. The Activity tab is fine because it doesn't show all Activity in one page. The rest of the view issue page is fine.

1. Has any one else come across this behaviour?
  2. Has any one managed to limit it?

4 answers

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2016
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2016

+1 for paging

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2016

Yes, I can confirm that having a single 15MB description change will cause lots of GC activity, as well as not loading the history tab. These changes were just updating a single line text field, so less that 255 chars in each case. I think the best thing would be to allow unlimited edits but only show them in "pages" not all at once. And don't allow scripts to use JIRA in a way that is too different from how people use it

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2016

Sort of like the number of comments I guess? I am sure there is no limit and the loading of history tab depends on the amount of data that goes in here. For example, if you update a large description every time, it might stop loading much before 5060 times? Not sure how we can limit it as the edit can be done from multiple places (Edit issue operation, Agile boards - inline edits, REST API, probably some plugins and so on) and will need changes to core code I guess?

Suggest an answer