How many SSL Certificate is required for Jira and Confluence hosting over internet

Shib Saha July 12, 2017

Hello Guys,

Good Morning!!

We have Jira Software(7.3.5) and Confluence(6.2.0) running over same server, planning to host both the application over internet.

Do i need two seperate SSL certificate for Jira and Confluence or one is enough.

Please suggest. Any comments is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shib Saha 

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

Dear Shib Saha,

In practice you only need a single certificate. It is however your choice what kind of certificate you order; A wildcard can be used for all urls in your domain.. but you can also order a specific SAN SSL certificate and add multiple URLS on that certificate.

Friendly Regards,

Shib Saha July 12, 2017

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for the swift address to the topic.

It is really helpful for me.

Thanks,
Shib Saha 

Shib Saha July 12, 2017

Dear Jeremy,

If possible, could you please guide me for this activity "Publishing Jira and Confluence over internet" with below query.

1.  Steps from starting involved in this activity. I am little bit confused with the guidlines provided by Atlassian and i am new to Jira. It would be really helpful if you share your experience.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Shib Saha 

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2017

Dear Shib Saha,

You mean a guide for installing the SSL Certificates?

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy

Shib Saha July 12, 2017

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply.
Want to know the steps (complete procedure) involved in publishing jira over internet like External certificate issuing is one the steps.

Right now we have jira that is accesible through server URL and including port number and same for confluence.

For certificate it is mentioned in the atlassian document to use a tool "Portecle", i hope that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Shib Saha

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2017

Dear Shib Saha,

Are JIRA / Confluence both running on a seperate server? Is the application that you would want to listen on port 80 so it can be reached through http://jira.example.com?

If yes you can:
- Set up a DNS A-record that points jira.example.com to the IP address of your server.
- Modify the file server.xml so the embeded JIRA Tomcat listens on port 80
Find the following code in server.xml

Connector port="8080"

Change the connector port to 80

Connector port="80"

Restart JIRA.

Please keep in mind that it takes a while for DNS changes to become active.
And don't forget to change the base URL in the JIRA administration.

Confluence webserver documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/web-server-configuration-159760.html

Jira webserver documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/integrating-jira-applications-with-a-web-server-802593038.html

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Shib Saha July 13, 2017

Dear Jeremy,

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Here is the required details:
We have both Jira and Confluence running on the same server.
Jira is hosted on 8080 and confluence is hosted on 8090.

Please suggest for above perspective.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Shib Saha

Suggest an answer