How managing customer access

Jean-Francois Lemire February 11, 2015

Hi,

Actually, our customers need to be in the group "jira-users" to have access to all our projects. How can I configure a customer to give him access only to a specific project?

This customer need to create issues, change issue status, see comments but only on a specific project. 

Thks

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2015

Hi jf

you assign permissions to projects via the permission scheme that the project is using. Go to the projet administration and check the current permission scheme. You will probably find jira-users in there permitted to perform certain activities.

Create an extra group for each project as Andrew suggested and add the corresponding users to those groups. Then create an individual permission scheme for each project in which you assign the specific group the permissions you want it to have in the project. After that go back to the project administration and assign that new permission scheme to it.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2015

I agree with Andrew, giving the jira-users group any permission except logon is nearly always going to lead to problems down the line. The problem will sneak up on you and suddenly people can see or do things you don't want them to.

1 vote
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2015

Hi,

I would change the permissions for jira-users so that all it allows is someone to log in, but does not allow them to see any projects. Then have a new group which allows users to see projects and a third group for the customer that is only allow to see one specific project.

Add all existing users to the new group that can see all the projects and just add the individual customer to the specific group that's configured to only see one project.

Andrew.

0 votes
Jean-Francois Lemire February 11, 2015

I'm not sure to do the right thing. Is that in global persmission sectoin JIRA permission or Permission schemes?

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2015

Hi, it's in the permission schemes / project roles. You remove jira-users from all the project roles.

Suggest an answer