• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How long will the Jira session be active if left unattended after long on.? How long wil the jira be active if the user leaves the application unattended when the dashboard page is refreshing?

How long will the Jira session be active if left unattended after long on.? How long wil the jira be active if the user leaves the application unattended when the dashboard page is refreshing?

Harish September 20, 2012

Hi Team,

For Jira 4.4.5:-

How long will the Jira session be active if left unattended after long on or while working in some page.?

How long will the jira be active if the user leaves the application unattended when the dashboard page is refreshing?

Can we set the session timeout?

Thanks,

Harish

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
tier-0 grump
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 20, 2012

It's easy to set - see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+the+default+session+timeout

The default timeout is different in different versions.

Also be aware that remeber me changes things a little here - if your session has timed out with remember me, then you will get a new session automatically if you come back after the timeout, so it appears that there is no session timeout, but there is.

If you leave the dashboard open, you will never reach the end of a session as many gadgets auto refresh every so often.

Harish September 20, 2012

hi James,

Thanks for the information.

So i can conclude that :

1. If the user is in the dashboard page and leaves the system, then the Jira session will not expire and so the user can come back and work form the dashboard page without login again.

2. If the user is NOT in the dashboard page and leaves the system, then Jira session will expire as per the session timeout set and so the user has to login again to resume fomr the page he left.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thanks,

harish.

Suggest an answer