How is the created vs resolved trendline calculated?

Brian Lichtman June 16, 2015

2 answers

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

The code in Jira's CreatedVsResolvedChart class contains logic similar to:

int unresolvedTrend = 0;
for (period in periodRange) {
    created = getNumCreatedIssues(period);
    resolved = getNumResolvedIssues(period);
    unresolvedTrend = unresolvedTrend + created - resolved;
}

If I start on Day 1 with some number of issues, create 10 new issues, and resolve 5 issues, then the trend value is 0 + 10 - 5 = 5

The zero value comes from: unresolvedTrend = 0

The next day I start with a trend value of 5 from the previous day, create 10 more issues and resolve 20 issues (maybe old ones, maybe new ones), the trend value is now 

5 + 10 - 20 = -5

So the value is a rolling count, not absolute.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2021

Which is what others said, but I have psuedo-code :)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2015

The red line is number of issues created. The green line is the number of issues resolved. The area that is filled in as green or red is showing a growing delta toward more issues being created or resolved.

Thanks for the explanation on that, Boris. I meant the blue trend line, which is an optional trend line. I can screenshot it if it would be helpful.

Thanks for the explanation on that, Boris. I meant the blue trend line, which is an optional trend line. I can screenshot it if it would be helpful.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2015

It is just the total number of unresolved tickets for that date.

Brian Lichtman June 17, 2015

oh. It doesn't appear to be, at least not when viewing the filter in two dimensional gadget. I'll have another look.

Maria Boyko August 8, 2018

Brian, have you managed to get an answer to your question?

Remedy Partners November 15, 2018

I'm also interested in this question.  I can't figure it out. It's definitely not the total number of unresolved issues for that date.

Jeroen April 18, 2019

I was looking at this too. For me it does seem to correspond the difference between the created and resolved issues, like Boris Berenberg stated.

In my graph for instance I have the following:

April 14th, created = 11, resolved = 5. The blue trend line shows "unresolved = 6"

So on april 14th there were more issues created than were resolved.

Similarly I see April 9th, created = 28, resolved = 40. The blue line shows "unresolved = -12"

So the team resolved more issues that day than there were issues created.

Now the "unresolved" might indeed not be the total unresolved issues in your project. The widget just seems to take the number of issues that were created on date x, the number of issues that were resolved on date x and looks at the difference.

• On date x you might have like a 100 unresolved tickets in total in your project/filter
  • On date x there are 10 new issues created
  • On date x 5 issues are resolved
  • So the trend (blue line) shows +5 with the label "unresolved" for that day (10-5=5)

Those issues resolved on date x could be any of the 100 existing ones or of the 10 newly created issues.

But the actual unresolved issues would now be 105 (100+10-5) and this is not reflected in this widget.

So it's not the total number of unresolved tickets you might find when you do a search for unresolved issues but only the difference between how many issues created on a given day and resolved on a given day, not taking into account how many unresolved tickets there might have been present already.

Like # people like this
Karyn Tooke March 10, 2020

I've been reading through this post and while Jeron's description is extremely helpful I still have a couple of questions when looking at my own charted reports - feel free to point me in the right direction!

Between 12th & 18th Jan I have 79 Created & 98 Resolved, which should mean I have -19 unresolved but I have 13, anything I could be checking? It would be helpful if the trendline could have a 'View in Issue navigator' click-through link similar to the Created & Resolved so we can compare the data across all 3 data sources.

Created vs resolved.png

Unresolved.png

Jeroen March 11, 2020

When I actually click the data point, I do have the option to "view in issue navigator". 

But only per resolved or created.

Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 08.17.59.pngScreenshot 2020-03-11 at 08.18.10.png

That said:

Karyn indicated the following:

"Between 12th & 18th Jan I have 79 Created & 98 Resolved, which should mean I have -19 unresolved but I have 13"

Yes, 79 created - 98 resolved would give -19 as a trend. But I think you should also have a look at the total unresolved issues you already had before that day. If there were more unresolved issues in your project/filter that would account for the positive 13 trend. 

Like I indicated initially:

"Now the "unresolved" might indeed not be the total unresolved issues in your project. The widget just seems to take the number of issues that were created on date x, the number of issues that were resolved on date x and looks at the difference.

• On date x you might have like a 100 unresolved tickets in total in your project/filter
  • On date x there are 10 new issues created
  • On date x 5 issues are resolved
  • So the trend (blue line) shows +5 with the label "unresolved" for that day (10-5=5)

Those issues resolved on date x could be any of the 100 existing ones or of the 10 newly created issues.

But the actual unresolved issues would now be 105 (100+10-5) and this is not reflected in this widget."

As the blue line is a trend, it will not show the difference perse (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Suggest an answer