How involved should the team get into jira?

Ahmed Alghamdi August 8, 2017

So in Agile, interaction of processes! now i'd like to use JIRA at least close to ideally.. we have lot of user stories, as we plan for our upcoming sprint, the team write all the sub-tasks they could think of which would be needed for to achieve the stories.

However, the team during the day, could spend time with others to discuss or review some items. we do not have tasks per say for those stuff! 

Now, should we create tasks that would be the result of each person's activity during the day? or those shattered meetings will stay off JIRA?

We are using original estimates, and ask the team to log their time completing the tasks btw  

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2017

Honestly, it will be too difficult to go to that level of detail inside JIRA. What about all the unplanned meetings, discussions etc? Hard to keep track of them because they will affect the sprint scope.

Ideally, the focus must be on the stories. You can create subtasks for whatever planned tasks that needs to be done to finish those stories. Going into the minute details might end up as a pain.

And, if you are doing time tracking, you can always capture the details in the worklog description. Or even categorize them with the help of plugins like Tempo. My two cents!

Ahmed Alghamdi August 8, 2017

in that case, when we print out the time spent, we would see that each employee spent only few hours working during the day! since other tasks, meetings,,,etc were not logged

I guess it's fine, but managment still have the traditional mindset, they want to see each person is putting at least 7 hours of work daily. but ya i agree, it should mainly be about user stories and its subtasks 

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2017

You will still be logging the time for all your activities. It will be logged against the relevant story/task.

If there are tasks that are not relevent to any story, you might want to create a generic story/Task and plan it in every sprint.

Suggest an answer