How get cross-project releases to show up in each project?

Katie Planey July 19, 2017

I only see cross-project releases in JIRA portfolio. When I go to each of the projects the release is in (as shown in JIRA portfolio), these releases do not show up, and I can't reference these releases when making stories.  

3 answers

1 vote
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2017

Hi Katie! How are you doing?

Did you commit the changes in Portfolio to JIRA? I did exactly what you did and the versions were created in my projects.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Cristiano

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2017

Hi @Katie Planey,

Let us know if you solved your problem.

If it helps, the doc page for cross-project releases might shed some light on the workings

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/creating-and-configuring-cross-project-releases-828785313.html

Cheers,
Allard

sfrench March 20, 2018

The problem with the Help topic is that it doesn't orient the user. It says to go to your plan. What the heck is my plan? I have Projects, and Boards. No plans. Maybe the writer could start at the top of the task instead of mid-way?

Like # people like this
Brian Cumberledge September 11, 2019

Old and still not fixed.   What is a Plan????     I realize the URL now says Portfolio but I didn't know that and didn't know what it is (still).     Seems complicated just to do cross project release (version).

Like # people like this
James Hendrix December 16, 2019

Sounds like some users need training.  Portfolio fro JIRA is an add-on.  https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio

Brian Cumberledge December 16, 2019

Have you used Portfolio?    It is the most complicated software I have seen.   We can't configure it's use at all...  

Like dmitryg likes this
James Hendrix December 16, 2019

I have.  Cross-project releases are not a native JIRA function.  Portfolio enables them by first setting up a plan, which draws its data from one or more projects and/or boards.  You can check your configuration by going to Settings (gear icon) > Configure > Source Data > Issue Sources.  In order to create cross-project releases (CPRs), you need to add multiple projects or one or more boards that draws from multiple projects.

Then, you should be able to go to Releases and create CPRs.  By default, it should include all projects configured.  You can prune them if you like.  Once you create the CPRs, you will see a number in a colored circle by Review Changes button in upper-right (if using the new "Improved Interface") or Uncommitted Changes in upper-left (if using the default view).

There, you can "push" the changes to JIRA to ACTUALLY create the fix version releases in the indicated projects.

0 votes
Krishna Thunuguntla February 17, 2020

Hi

If you are using the latest version of Portfolio for Jira, then releases will not show up when you create a cross project release.

If you are using the latest version of portfolio, you can follow this step.

Go to your plan, then click on Gear Icon > Configure > Planning interface, then click on Disable improved interface and create a cross-project release through that interface, Jira will create a corresponding release on each project automatically once you commit the changes on Portfolio.

Thank you,

Krishna

Wolfgang Seidler June 22, 2020

Thanks a lot for this hint - the new view has nice moments, but turning off releases being created in the related projects is a strange "improvement" - Thanks!

Like Shaunty likes this
0 votes
Helle Markmann August 3, 2017

I have the same problem as Katie.

I have connected two projects to my portfolio plan. Each has at least one release/version.

I create a cross project release. Reading the doc page you refer to (and I've done that quite a few times now), I understand, that creating the CPR should make the release apear in both projects. The release apear in the portfolio view, but when a go back to my boards, the CPR is not shown (either in the version "tab" or in the Releases view).

The problem I want to solve is to get rid off creating the same version in more projects, but only creating the one and then using it across teams. I was hoping CPR could do that. If I have to make the versions in each project to connect it to the CPR, of cause will help, if there are any changes in dates, but that wasn't what I was hoping for.

Also I can't put versions from the projects in the CPR. When I try to add project, the drop down is empty.

I have been wondering if I have a filter, but it doesn't seems like it.

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2017

Hi Helle,

Here are the answers to your questions. 

but when a go back to my boards, the CPR is not shown (either in the version "tab" or in the Releases view)

If you have committed your changes back to JIRA, the project-specific 'child' releases of the CPR should appear in each project. The CPR 'parent' doesn't appear anywhere in JIRA, as it's a Portfolio only construct.

If they're not, please provide more details so we might be able to help you better.

If I have to make the versions in each project to connect it to the CPR [..] but that wasn't what I was hoping for.

Sorry, but that's how CPRs are implemented at the moment. 

I can't put versions from the projects in the CPR. When I try to add project, the drop down is empty.

You can only add one release per project to a CPR. If you would want to add multiple releases from a single project, they would effectively be the same release for that project, so you only need one of them and can delete the rest. 

I hope that helps. 

Cheers,
Allard

Helle Markmann August 9, 2017

Thank you very much for your answar.

Yes, that clears it - I read "the release will be transformed into a regular release in each of the JIRA projects that are part of the cross-project release" as if the release would show.

I can see now, that when I create the CPR, there were automatically a release per project connect to the CPR, which explaines why I can't be allowed to put in more.

What still puzzles me is that the releases in the CPR are called "Cross team release" (which is the name of my CPR). And they are not showing in by project in Jira. i don't know if this is the same problem as @Katie Planey

So here comes a bit more details:

I created the roadmap from two projects (not boards).

I made a CPR containing both projects. As seen below the release(s) show in portfolio view.

Second picture is from my Backlog with Versions showing. I would have expected the "Cross team release" to show here for people to put issues into.

Or is it only in the Portfolio view you can plan with the release?

image.png

image.png

Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
August 10, 2017

Hey Helle,

Thanks for your screenshots, that really helps.

Like @Cristiano Mariano asks in his first post, and I mention above as well, "Did you commit your changes back to Jira?"

From your screenshots it looks like you haven't, because your versions are still marked as uncommitted (the orange highlight). 

Portfolio is sandboxed and allows you to make changes that don't affect your JIRA data until you actively commit them back. This allows you to plan what-if scenarios. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/committing-your-plan-changes-828785217.html

Commit your versions, and the should show up on your backlog. 

Cheers,
Allard

Helle Markmann August 15, 2017

Hey Allard

Thank you so much for your answar! That was the trick! Sorry I didn't catch that from the documentation. I was actually wondering about the orange corner, but thought that it was a "this is new" mark.

I had seen the first comment, but it didn't ring a bell, så obviously, I forgot again.

I had been to the Commitment "page", but it was filled with my issues, and therefor the actual release didn't jump into sight, and I wasn't looking for it.

Now I will start playing again.

Again - thank you for your answars!

Regards

Helle

jihene_chaabani April 23, 2019

Hi @Allard van Helbergen

For me, I have already committed all changes, but the new release is not show up in the others projects, any help plz or demonstration ?

Thank you

Krishna Thunuguntla February 19, 2020

Hi @jihene_chaabani 

If you are using the latest version of Portfolio for Jira, then releases will not show up when you create a cross project release.

If you are using the latest version of portfolio, you can follow this step.

Go to your plan, then click on Gear Icon > Configure > Planning interface, then click on Disable improved interface and create a cross-project release through that interface, Jira will create a corresponding release on each project automatically once you commit the changes on Portfolio.

Thank you,

Krishna

Suggest an answer