How does rest/api/2/issue/picker works?

NoahH August 30, 2017

I'am confused about the results which I get from the API call, and can't imagine any suggestions how the results correlate with the input params.

For example, lets take the following endpoint: 

rest/api/2/issue/picker?query=PRJ-&currentJQL=project != ""

I assume that the result should contains all the issues where the key starts from "PRJ-" and the project is not empty.

But what I get is first of all are two sections - Current Search and History search. What are this sections? I was unable to find any usefull information about how this sections are populated and for what purposes they are used. Sometimes one section could be absent, another time they could be totally equal.

Second thing - the 'sub' property of section usually tells me that it is showing 19 matching issues out of 40. But I can't get another 21 issues.

Also, if the query parameter of API method is a JQL expression, then how it can search through uncompleted issue key?

I would be very grateful if someone could provide a small completed quide how this endpoint works and for what purposes it should be used.

1 answer

3 votes
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2018

Hello Noah,

I am answering bit late, but we have recently used this endpoint in our project and had similar questions, when trying to figure out, how it is working. Because someone could have same problems in future, I'll write answer here.

Endpoint returns two sections "History search" and "Current search".

"History search" is returned every time and contains only issues, that are related to user logged user (user is assignee on this issues, reporter, visited them recently etc.) and fits the query. For example new Jira user, that have freshly logged in, won't have any issue in this section.

"Current search" seems to be based on JQL query. It is only retrieved when the "currentJQL" is specified in your request. (Sometimes it seemed to apply the JQL filter from Jira issue search).

Our hack, to retrieve all issues for issue picker, was to send empty string "" in "currentJQL" field and our search string in "query" field.

Hope it helps a bit.

RTB JIRA TEST February 11, 2018

Thank you for your answer!

I also hope that it will help in the future for other API users.

Suggest an answer