How does one associate a SW release version to a new reported bug?

Daniel Labonté May 20, 2016

Good afternoon,

Say we have a SW release in the form of MM.mm.Date where MM: major, mm: minor, eg 1.07.20150331, or any other form of monotonically increasing number.

Also, suppose the current SW release is 1.08.20160217. 

Now there is bug reported in revision 1.07.20150331. If we create a new Issue - Bug entry in JIRA, where/how does one specifies the revision number? I assume that the Fix Version field can be set to an issue that has been closed/marked as Done.

I am new to JIRA but have worked with bugzilla in the past where a release version could be attached to a bug. 

The description of version in JIRA appears to only apply on future releases, attaching Issues from the backlog. How can one assign a Version Number to a issue not yet release?

Regards,

Daniel

1 answer

1 vote
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2016

Affects Version is where you indicate what product version(s) is known to have the bug.  I like to use Fix Version for planning purposes, and then when we have a resolution, change if necessary.

See more on this previous discussion.

Suggest an answer