How does linking a knowledgebase article to a particular Service Desk request type work?

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2016

We are setting up a service desk.  I have linked a confluence space and created a couple of pages in it on different topics.  I have linked one of them to one of our request types through a label in the Autosearch part of the Admin (which is also on the wiki page).  Both pages are findable if I search in the search box at the top of the users request type selection screen.  However there doesn't seem to be anything appearing or any links if I create a request of the right type.  The documentation in the wiki doesn't explain what to expect - should there be a pop up which is what Atlassian's own Support site has or a link or something?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2016

The exact way these suggestions appear depend on the screen.

If you start typing in the customer portal (where the different service desks appear, you will get suggestions for the titles of related KB articles below the search box. That seems to be what you're describing as working correctly.

If you start actually reporting an issue in the right service desk and you're typing a summary that contains keyworks to KB articles, the suggestions will appear at the right of the ticket form in a gray box, and you see more info than just the title (first few lines and the number of likes).

If these suggestions are not appearing, it's possible that this particular desk has no links to the labels used in the KB articles. I suggest you re-check the config of that specific desk and make sure you're typing keywords used in the KB articles using the labels you set up.

Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2016

I see.  Many thanks, you have made it much clearer.  I wish Atlassian would update the documentation to include this information (The Service Desk documentation isn't up to the normal standard)

Unfortunately we have strongly typed our request types so that the fact it is that request type means they need that information.  We have had to include the summary field because JIRA makes it mandatory but it is practically obsolete in our setup because we have very detailed custom fields for each data type

0 votes
Hilary Boyce
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2016

Thank you Nicolas, the documentation doesn't make it clear that there is a need to enter the label keyword in the summary box. I have tried that and now see the page suggested to the right of the summary box.

I had hoped that the suggestions would appear whenever you opened the form for the linked request type, after all the label is applied to the request type in the config.

It also appears that this only works for the summary field and not for the others on the form.

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2016

Yeah, but it does make sense that this would work only for the summary. The goal is to gradually turn your help desk into a self-help desk, so when people start to type "I have a problem while exporting..." ,then it shows you stuff related to exporting.

Also, the keyword you're typing doesn't have to be the label itself to return results. It has to be contained in the pages labeled. It actually searches within the body of the text for keywords, not merely the page labels. That would be hell otherwise. 

Suggest an answer