How does Transition Issue permission work?

Charalampos Psarropoulos June 11, 2014

Hello,

I am having a problem with the Transition Issue permission. I have recently installed Jira OnDemand for the company I work for and I am in the process of setting it up an testing things. I created a custom workflow and gave rights to the user groups. The problem is that while some users have the permission to Resolve tickets, they cannot do so, unless the Transition Issue permission is granted. But if it is granted, they can also close tickets, which I do not want them to. Any ideas on how I could overcome this?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2014

You need to check the exact conditions on the transitions that are not appearing. The "transition" permission is there to protect transitions in general (finally!), but your transition might well have other conditions like "must be in role of X" or "must have close permission"

Sorry but I lost you there (new to Jira configuration...)

I have not made anything special on the transitions, for example from In Progress of from Open, I linked to Resolved and added a relevant screen. The problem is that when I enable the Transition permission, all issue transitions are allowed while I would like to restrict some of them.

(I hope what I write above makes sence :( )

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2014

Yes, it does. Peter has given you the link you need.

The "transition" permission is a general one - it allows a user to perform all transitions unless they are blocked by other conditions.

The reason for that is that older Jira versions have a flaw in that admins would grant people limited permissions, then go and put together a workflow, but not realise that new transitions had NO conditions, which meant that anyone could use them by default (even not-logged-in users)

So, although the transitions permission is useful in general, you often need other conditions to prevent unwanted usage.

Thank you very much for the assistance, helped me understand things I did not know they even exist :)

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2014

Hi,

Simply give them Transition issue and Resolve issue permissions but not the close issue permissions.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you for your answer but unfortunately I have already tried that with no luck :(

The user group I used has permission for transition, for resolution but not for closure. And yet, when I access the ticket with a user from that group, I see the close button available and can close the ticket with no problem.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2014

Hi,

You'll need to use conditions on your transitions to do what you seems to be wanting, take a look here to learn more about it:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+workflow+configuration

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you very much, worked like a charm :)

Suggest an answer