How does Jira Agile determine Actual Story Points for an issue if this is the chosen estimation technique?

John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2014

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2014

Your users enter it into the Story points field.

John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 15, 2014

That's where estimated story points are entered.

In board configuration -> Estimation -> Estimation Statistics gives options including Story Points and Actual Story Points, hence the question I asked.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2014

Ah I see. Oddly, its the same answer: your users put numbers into "Actual Story Points", but the background behind it is worth explaining. The board estimate can work off any numeric field you choose to use in JIRA - I'd say one of your admins has added a field called "Actual story points". For custom fields, you usually just present them to the user and they fill them in. But your admin may also have done some coding or scripting to populate it for you, in which case you'll need to identify that code and look at what it does.

0 votes
John Bayne
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2014

Thanks for the feedback Nic; I wasn't able to respond yesterday as I don't have enough points yet smile

Your feedback was spot on.

I had myself created an 'Actual Story Points' custom field on this instance, but had done nothing to make it appear as an option on the Estimation configuration and so thought this behaviour was standard - i.e. the system would compute them. I didn't realize this wasn't standard until I looked on another instance.

So now I see that the system allows the option of any number field.

Suggest an answer