How does JIRA handle timezones (API)

Phil_Dimeski June 14, 2018

Hey all, 

I am just after some information as to how JIRA handles timezones and what takes priority (Default system timezone, user timezone, computer system timezone).

The reason I ask is because, if say in my user account I set my timezone to Los Angeles. The admin has set the default time as Sydney. When I log time I would of expected the created time of the worklog to be set to my user setting (Los Angeles). Instead it is set to JIRA's default timezone the admin has set. 

If this is the case what is the point of having user timezone preference? What is it used for?

1 answer

0 votes
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2018

@Phil_DimeskiPlease read this

1. Change Time Zone
  2.  Default time zone : This is the time zone used throughout the JIRA interface. Users can  override the default time zone by using the Time Zone setting in their user profile.
  3. So  i think  you  need to  verify  your statement once again,  that  you  are getting the Time zone set  by  the JIRA admin after setting  your time zone in  user preference or may be the time zone which  admin set  as default is the same as the one you  have in  user preference.
Phil_Dimeski June 17, 2018

The timezone between what I selected and what the admin selected are definitely different. But thanks for your response, it did clear things up and I will try and verify that my statement was correct.

Cheers,

Suggest an answer