How does JIRA handle issues with required fields that are created from email?

Amedee Van Gasse December 4, 2014

I have a project that has a mail handler to create issues.

I am thinking about making one field mandatory: Affects version.

When an issue is created from web, this would work just fine.

I cannot find in the documentation what would happen with issues that are created from email when there is a required field. Is that behavior undefined? I see the following possible outcomes:

1. The issue does not get created because the mail handler has no way to map the required field.
  2. The issue gets created and the required field is empty.
  3. The issue gets created and the required field gets a default value (how to define this?)

In scenario 2, what happens with subsequent edits of the issue if the required field remains empty?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Loïc Dewerchin December 5, 2014

Hello,

I was wondering the same thing, so I tested it:

• the issue does get created even when the required fields are empty
  • subsequent edits require those fields to be filled in
  • inline edits of other fields is still possible without filling in the required fields

hope this helps

best regards,

Loïc

=========================

Edit : refering to @Peter Ben answer:

In my testing:

* transitions : yup, possible without data in required fields

* edit (full issue edit) : required fields are mandatory -> normal behaviour

Amedee Van Gasse December 5, 2014

This is the scenario that I was hoping for. Now I only need a dummy "version unknown" value for those few cases where we really don't know the value. Thanks!

1 vote
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

Teilor, are you sure? We are using JIRA's built-in mail handler and tickets are created. We didn't configure anything especial.

Amedee, scenario 2 is the correct one. Mandatory fields are left empty. Note that after that (subsequent edits or transitions), JIRA doesn't restrict fields to be set to mandatory (shows the red little star, but you don't have to insert a valid value).

teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

I tested again with a clean instance and you are right. In my first test I used a instance with some restrictions in the mail handler.

Suggest an answer