How does Atlassian use Jira as a public support project and a private development project?

Pieter Claeys October 9, 2014

Hello,

Hi, I'm interested in knowing how Atlassian is solving the following workflow requirements:

my company is using JIRA for two main functionalities:(1) as support system (where our customers have access to) and (2) as a development system (for employees/developers; the customers should not see the issues there).

This is similar to Atlassian, I guess: All bug reports and feature requests are publicly accessible on jira.atlassian.com.
BUT we don't see comments of the atlassian developers, we don't see internal assignee changes or workflow steps changing. So this probably means that Atlassian uses another JIRA instance for the internal development, or uses private projects not accessible to non-employees.

My question is: How do you (Atlassian) deal with this, when somebody logs a bug in the public JIRA? I guess this somehow results in another issue in your 'private jira'. How do you link them and how do you ensure that the feedback goes back to the public project when the bug is resolved?

Is this a manual process that fully depends on discipline of your employees, or do you have additional tools / addons / features to support this workflow?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2014

This is covered in-depth here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/110373

0 votes
Pieter Claeys October 9, 2014

Thanks that clarifies already one part and confirms the use of separate JIRA instances.
What I'm curious to know if there is any link between the two systems.
If I would create a bug report in 'JAC' (the public jira) ; then somebody at Atlassian makes a bug issue in their internal system. Manually? Is there a custom field to store the link used?
And then, other people report duplicates. Is the 'internal' bug issue updated with these duplicates.
And when finally, the bug is fixed in the internal system, then the 'public' issues must be updated to indicate that the problem is fixed.
Is all this done manually; or is there some form of automation / linking between the two instances?

Suggest an answer