How do you transfer admins rights??

Maria Hammond October 10, 2019

I am the new admin for JIRA.  The previous admin granted me permissions but I do not have the rights?   How is this done?

I sent an email to the site administrator.  The email looped back to your group distro?

2 answers

2 votes
Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

Hi @Maria Hammond

There are two permissions for being an administrator in Jira.

Jira System Administrator

Jira Administrator

The former is the permission that give you complete control over administration and the latter is a limited role as administrator. The default setting is to include both permissions in jira-administrators group, meaning if you belong to the jira-adminsitrators group you should have complete permission.  

Which permissions were you granted? 

These two are shown under Administration > System > Global permissions

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

See this link for details of the difference between the Jira System Admin and the Jira Admin

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

If you are a Jira Admin you should not see the Jira System Admin permission from the global permissions view

0 votes
Yoga Reddy {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

Hi @Maria Hammond 

If you are an administrator you should see the cog icon on the right side of the menu bar. If you are not seeing the cog icon, then ask your administrator to provide the admin access.

Thanks

Yoga

Gustav L_Estrade
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2019

@Yoga Reddy {Appfire}

The cog shows both for the Jira System Admin and the Jira Admin, it does not mean you have the full permission to administer the system. Although, you are right since the cog wont show unless you have at least one of the two global permissions required. 

Suggest an answer