• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How do you setup a Helpdesk solution for non-jira users where they get an email once they created an issue, when someone comments on the issue, and when the issue is resolved?

How do you setup a Helpdesk solution for non-jira users where they get an email once they created an issue, when someone comments on the issue, and when the issue is resolved?

OneFromAbove July 13, 2012

I am trying to set up a helpdesk for our company with JIRA. Right now I have it setup to allow non jira users to create an issue from the main login screen (without logging in). That issue is then assigned to a dummy account name support, with the Reporter being Anonymous. That all works.

We want to be able to have jira automatically send emails to that non jira user when they submit the issue so that they know that we have received the issue, have an email sent when an issue was commented on, and when the issue is resolved.

I have installed JEMH and cannot seem to figure out how to solve this problem. I have created a test instance that is on my localhost separate from our live jira instance. I have used the following resources and had no success.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/JIRA+as+an+email+support+system

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=69468480

Please any advice would be great.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2012

Hi Neil,

1. Notifying non-jira account holders on issue creation. Edit Profile > Notifications, set Notify Users on Issue Creation to be Non-JIRA users.
  2. In order to notify thoes users of a comment, you need to store the email address of the non-jira user in a custom field, Edit Profile > Email, set Sender process: non jira-user / Assign non jira-users Email to Text CustomField value to be a text (unlimited) custom field. This stores the _sender_ email adress. If you also want to notify other non-jira users that the sender has added as additional recipients, you will need to also (Email section still) Addressee Processing : toWatcher and Non JIRA account holder to a Text CustomField to the same custom field just used.
  3. Enable the JEMH Issue Listener, and configure an entry for the project that you are routing issues to. You will need to enable the events that you want to be sent, eg ISSUE_COMMENTED. A recent feature added means that you no longer have to cusomize the default templates, you can just use the default one if you're happy with that.

After (1) remote users will ne notified on creation

After (2) you should see sender/participant email address copied to your Text custom field (if not check security privileges, use JEMH Auditing view to see what happened, drill in there for details).

After (3) you should be able to see message going onto the JIRA mail queue as a result of user events.

There is also another wiki walkthrough with screenshots that should provide a useful reference:

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/Enable+non+JIRA+Account+holders+to+receive+issue+updates

Rgds!

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2012

did that help?

Trav August 28, 2014

I followed the steps but the customer email field still does not show up in the issue. I tried the "where is my field?" troubleshooting thing and it told me "The field 'Customer Email' does not have value for issue TOP-266 and will not be displayed on the view issue page. Set value for that field so that it shows up." but "Assign non jira-users Email to Text CustomField" is set to the customer email field.

Ideas? Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2014

Hi Trav,

If the 'from' address is not registered with a JIRA account holder, it will be a candidate for storing in the custom fields.

My guess is you have only set the 'participants' custom fields rather than the 'sender' custom field. For email storage they can both be the same (or different, to retain some idea of who started the thread).

If that doesnt work for you, please log a support case @ https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/browse/JEMH

Attach your Profile XML, and a JEMH Auditing history email export

Trav August 29, 2014

Hi! I guess I spoke too soon. I finally just went through https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Configure+JEMH+for+a+Helpdesk+environment+from+scratch#ConfigureJEMHforaHelpdeskenvironmentfromscratch-CreateaJIRACustomFieldstep by step and got it to work... somewhat. Comments still aren't generating emails and I'm getting error reports in my email that aren't clear. I'll keep banging on it but if I can't figure it out maybe I'll post a separate question on here. Thanks!

1 vote
OneFromAbove August 22, 2012

Sure did. Thanks. Great plugin.

Suggest an answer