How do you set up an alert on sprint scope changes?

Deleted user March 12, 2015

We have a requirement for an alert to be triggered that will send an email when any active sprint is added to, which will cause scope change.

I do not know how to accomplish this.

Thanks

Adam

4 answers

3 votes
Joe Kemp May 15, 2020

Using Jira automation, you can set up:

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 7.05.29 PM.png

Joe Kemp May 15, 2020
Like Vivek Rajagopalan likes this
2 votes
Rangi Robinson August 5, 2015

This would be useful for us to. We have a problem whereby changes are being made to the sprint once it's in progress. To help get out of this habit, it would be really useful to have an email alert sent to the team every time this happens, so we can discuss why it's happening and find ways to improve our process.

0 votes
Anand_Wadhwani February 17, 2020

Can we please have this feature in JIRA?

Ability to specify a "condition" in notifications!

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2015

Not hugely sure, but I can see a couple of possibilities:

• Set up a script listener for IssueUpdated events, and you check if the sprint field has just changed. In the listener you run the jql function "addedAfterSprintStart"... if the results contain the issue then you can fire the alert or whatever
  • Option 2, same as above but instead of running the query you look up the sprint and see if it's in progress, in which case fire the event. There's info about getting access to JA data structures here: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Working+With+JIRA+Agile

Let us know if you come up with anything.

Deleted user March 13, 2015

I don't really know how to do that. I have tried to use 'addedAfterSprintStart' already and every time I have tried it comes up with being unable to find that particular JQL function. As well as this I don't know how to write a query that will show if the sprint field has changed.

Darren Lowe February 14, 2019

Hi Adam. Did you every figure out how to get an alert to be triggered that will send an email when any active sprint is added to? If so, would you mind sharing it? Thanks!

Darren Lowe February 14, 2019

@[deleted] adding this comment in case you didn't get notified from the one above. 

Mike Faber October 25, 2019

I have searched for an answer to this in Jira Cloud and finally decided to accomplish this outside fo Jira. I have all updates emailing me, which includes when the sprint value changes. I then created a rule in Outlook to label those emails differently so they jump out in the sea of Jira emails I am receiving now. Not ideal but it's effective and that's all I care about at this point. Hopefully Jira added this in the future but they seem to have their hands full atm.

Adrian Pilgrim December 3, 2019

@Mike Faber would you mind going into more detail as to how you reached your solution?

Thank you

Mike Faber December 3, 2019

Sure thing @Adrian Pilgrim. Jira has an option under Notification Schemes to send notifications on the Issue Update event, I set this up to email me directly. These emails contain the the task and sprint value along with some other data depending on what actually was updated on the task. I then created a rule in Outlook the flag these emails when they arrive with a category of red. Now when someone updates a task to a new sprint I receive an email with a big red box on it. It jumps out on my outlook inbox making it easier to be aware of when this occurs. 

I found a few tweaks since I started this process to help. I removed the ability to assign a sprint value when creating a JT. I found that some people would create a JT and enter into the sprint while we are mid sprint! Furthermore the Issue Created event emails in Jira do not include the sprint value for me to create any rules like above. By forcing users to first create the JT and then update it to the current sprint I gain vision of this.

I also found that the event Issue Updated gives me way more emails than I want. So I edited my initial rule to move anything not tagged with the category of red to a subfolder. Now only sprint change updates go to my inbox. The rest of the updates go to a subfolder that I check periodically.

All of this is workarounds for functionality that does not exist in Jira at this time. This is the best vision I have gained on sprint changes in Jira yet but it is not perfect by any means. Hope this helps!

This information is very helpful. Thank you. 
I do not see the notification "Issue Update Event" in my list. Did you mean "Issue Updated (System)"Jira Notifications.PNG

Mike Faber December 3, 2019

Yes, everything in that list is considered an Event.

Still a newbie.
Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events