How do you send workflow down a path based on entering a field?

Jonathan Harber January 31, 2020

In my workflow, I have a point where a decision needs to be made.  I have a field named Purchase Method.  It has 2 possible options. RI and BRM.  If the field is set to RI, there is one purchase path, if the field is BRM it follows a different purchase path.  How do I achieve this?

It seems like a validator is the right answer

1 answer

0 votes
Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2020

@Jonathan Harber 

For what you're trying to do, I don' t think validators will work like you want it to.  Conditions + Jira Suite Utilities would work better for this, provided that this field is set while in the status in which you want the decision point.  They have a condition called Value Field that "Allows to execute a transition if the given value of a field is equal to a constant value, or simply set."

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/5048/jsu-automation-suite-for-jira-workflows?hosting=server&tab=overview

FWIW, this is my most used workflow add-on.  Well worth the money to license it.

Tony, thanks for answering.  This really is an If Then step.  If the Purchase Method field is set to Option 1, send the request to Department 1 and use that workflow, notifications, etc., and if Purchase Method is set to Option 2, send the request to Department 2, and use that workflow, notifications, etc.

Will Conditions + Jira Suite Utilities do that?  We have conditions installed.

Jonathan

Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2020

@Jonathan Harber 

The short answer is: yes, you can do this type of conditional workflowing with Jira +JSU.  Here's my similar use case: 

We run an ITIL-based change management process through our Jira.  As a public company, we also have to track and control changes to staging environments but only for SOX systems; all others just need prod changes tracked in scope.  ITSO/ITSM approval is needed for any in-scope changes but how to capture both staging and prod approvals for just the SOX systems?  

Solution: we created a SOX Yes/No field and required in on creation.  In the workflow, SOX = Yes leads down one path, SOX = No leads down another:

sox yes no.jpgEssentially, depending on the value of SOX, the user can either to to "In Staging ITSO Review" or "In ITSO Review".  The condition itself is mapped to the properties of my custom field, as detailed here: 

https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Value+Field+Condition

Right.  So I'm guessing you have not come up with a way to do this without JSU Automation Suite?

Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2020

Out of the box, no.  There are other ways but, to my knowledge, they all require add-ons.  This is just the one that works the best for my org because of the other great features of JSU

Ok, thanks!  I appreciate the help.

Like Tony Rossiter likes this
Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2020

You're very welcome.  Reach out if you need help setting it up

Stefan Forstmoser _beecom_ February 3, 2020

@Jonathan Harber , you might also have a look at the Follow Up Transition of JSU, which is used together with workflow conditions. Have a look at this use case:

https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Management+Approval

Depending on the value of a custom field (Budget) the workflow goes left or right.

Suggest an answer