How do you populate a custom field with a user value?

mtakata August 15, 2012

I am new to JIRA and wanted to know if this is possible or if there is a better way to do this.

We are trying to use this to track the previously assigned user on the ticket. For example on our workflow the ticket will go from the BSA to the DEV to the QA. But you can only view the current user assigned to the ticket. We would like to populate a custom field with each user along the way so you can reference who has touched this ticket.

Please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

And to extend what Jobin said, if you are really particular about only the last assigned user, capture the value to a custom field (user picker) and update it automatically from the assignee field during one of your transistions from DEV to QA using the post function available in this plugin https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Post-Functions

mtakata August 16, 2012

Thank you Renjith, I will look into this solutions.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

Have a look at the participants custom field in JIRA Toolkit plugin.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JTOOL/JIRA+Toolkit+Plugin

mtakata August 16, 2012

Thank you Jobin, I will look into this solution.

mtakata October 9, 2012

Good Morning Jobin,

Is there a toolkit plugin available for JIRA 5.1.6? The latest version I see of the toolkit available is for JIRA 4.3.

Thanks Jobin! =)

mtakata October 9, 2012

Nevermind I found it on Atlassian's website. I'll try it out! Thanks again!

Suggest an answer