How do you populate a custom field with a user value?

I am new to JIRA and wanted to know if this is possible or if there is a better way to do this.

We are trying to use this to track the previously assigned user on the ticket. For example on our workflow the ticket will go from the BSA to the DEV to the QA. But you can only view the current user assigned to the ticket. We would like to populate a custom field with each user along the way so you can reference who has touched this ticket.

Please let me know. Any help is appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Renjith Pillai Community Champion Aug 15, 2012

And to extend what Jobin said, if you are really particular about only the last assigned user, capture the value to a custom field (user picker) and update it automatically from the assignee field during one of your transistions from DEV to QA using the post function available in this plugin https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JSUTIL/JIRA+Suite+Utilities+Workflow+Post-Functions

Thank you Renjith, I will look into this solutions.

1 vote

Have a look at the participants custom field in JIRA Toolkit plugin.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JTOOL/JIRA+Toolkit+Plugin

Thank you Jobin, I will look into this solution.

Good Morning Jobin,

Is there a toolkit plugin available for JIRA 5.1.6? The latest version I see of the toolkit available is for JIRA 4.3.

Thanks Jobin! =)

Nevermind I found it on Atlassian's website. I'll try it out! Thanks again!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,317 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot