How do you manage the 'update parent issue' screen?

Steven Pask September 25, 2017

Currently I have a story workflow and a separate sub-task workflow in the one scheme assigned to a project.

Both workflows use global transitions throughout the workflow.

Issue: If I close all sub-tasks for the parent issue, I get the 'update parent issue' screen giving me two options:

"All sub-tasks for parent issue JDP-39 are now Done. To update the parent issue to match, select a transition:

• Cancelled
  • Released"

These are the two final 'green' statuses in the parent workflow. 

However is it possible to add other options such as 'ready for testing' or testing' (two other statuses in the parent workflow) in the 'update parent issue' screen? I understand those statuses have global transitions so this may be the issue.

Otherwise can I remove the update parent screen without effecting the workflow? 

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

You need to add transitions that go to other "done" status, then they will appear on the screen.

You can get rid of the screen by cutting it down to one transition to done status.

Hi Nic - thanks for the prompt ressonse.

The other statuses that I want to appear in the screen are not 'done' statuses though - for example 'ready for testing'.

We're also using a 'global' transition for this status. 

We require two 'done' statuses of cancelled and released as part of our internal process - so is there another way of removing the screen without removing green statuses? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

No, the way the system works is following the process.  It's marking the parent issue as "done" when all the subtasks are completed.  So all it's doing is saying "which 'done' is the issue?"

It's not able to ask about not-done status, because the point of the process is to mark the issue as done.

Hi - in another workflow, which was set up by a previous administrator, there were other options which were not 'done' statuses. For example:

Capture 2017-07-04 at 9.52.12 (1).png

Ready to deploy for example was a yellow status with no resolution being set?

I've tried to review this workflow but couldn't see any differences in my current configuration apart from the fact that the sub-task and parent issues were using the same workflow within the scheme. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2017

Ah, have a look at the board - I expect you'll find those status are in the far right hand column.

"Done" is not a function of the status category!  (Which is misleading, in my opinion)

OK, so the statuses in the far right column determine which statuses are available in the 'update parent screen'? 

And yes it is misleading, I found this out when reviewing burndown reports where the 'ready for live' was in the far right column and counting towards burndown before it was transitioned to 'released'. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2017

Yes, that's correct.  I should have said it sooner!  Sorry!

No worries! We got there :) Thanks again. 

Elaine Reece November 8, 2018

@Steven Pask Got any other suggestions? Your solution did not for me. We're on Jira Server v. 7.9.2. Our sub-tasks are on a different workflow than then story. We have a "Sign-off" status that is in the To Do category but is in the last column on the board along with it's counterpart "Resolved" which is in the Done category. 

When I drag the sub-tasks to done and get the screen Update Parent Issue screen with no other suggestions.

I attached what their parent workflow looks like.

UpdateParentIssue.pngBoard.pngMCSworkflow.png

Bob Yu January 4, 2019

Hi Elaine,

Did you figure out a way for the workaround or a fix? I have the same issue, thanks.

Bob

0 votes
Kent Ladenberger February 6, 2019

I was frustrated by the same issue. That's essentially a Post Function that is running that we cannot control and is not visible in the list of post functions. Naughty. 

Here's an easy workaround to at least disable the modal so your team can avoid spending time on an unhelpful modal that actually tempts them to update to the incorrect status:

1. Make a copy of your Story workflow so you can edit it.

2. Edit the copy of your Story workflow so you cannot get to DONE without passing through READY TO ACCEPT (or whatever your desired pre-DONE state is). For me, I removed the ability to transition to DONE from ALL other statuses. 

3. Save the changes.

4. Swap your story workflows and Publish.

5. Test. When you complete all tasks on a story, the modal to Update Parent Status to DONE should not appear.

Suggest an answer