How do you manage assets?

Nick Shortal December 13, 2016

New JIRA Service desk and Confluence user and client.

Interested in real world examples of strategies for assets management  that play nicely with JIRA and Confluence.

What are other users using?

What are the quick ways to obtain equipment information and have it populate?

Are there good options for SCCM to populate a Asset database that can be used by Atlassian products?

I am looking at this stage at Insight, but am keen to hear others thoughts on how to get this done quickly and easily.

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2016

A lot of people would build asset registers and trackers in JIRA (with links to confluence for extra details).  This worked well in most cases.  Heck, I got to the point where we had a label printer hooked up to JIRA so that labels got printed for new assets as they were flagged as "delivered" in the workflow.  Atlassian did a presentation on it at Summit a couple of years ago - https://summit.atlassian.com/archives/2014/it-service-teams/jira-for-asset-management is worth a look as it covers a lot of the stuff I would have said (fortunately, I managed to avoid the camera that time wink )

Then Riada arrived with the Insight add-on for JIRA, and that's a giant step up from hand-rolled stuff.  I'd strongly recommend a demo and sticking it in a test system for a look around.

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 13, 2016

We just use a basic workflow and several fields to capture information about the device.

Nick Shortal December 13, 2016

Hi Steven,

Is this then a manual data entry upon purchase and commissioning or is the entry populated from a imaging tool?

Suggest an answer