How do you give a jira user access to just one project?

Richard Clarke August 17, 2017

This is driving me mad. 

We have one client and we need to give them access to one project only. They need to be able to create, edit, comment etc on that one project. i.e. they will have full access to that project but no others. i.e. not even see our other projects.

I have followed multiple tutorials / posts in the community but none seem to work. Is there a simple guide to do this?

At the moment we have

1. Created the users - they are in the default group "jira-users"

2. Created a group "Project A"

3. Added the users to the group "Project A" so they are in 2 groups "jira-users" and "Project A"

4. Created the project

I have removed all permission schemes / roles etc that I had created in previous attempts to leave a "clean" installation.

--

They currently have access to all projects though. What are the next steps to limit their access to just one project?

We have Jira cloud

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2017

Hi Richard,

I think, all your other projects have permissions based on the group "jira-users". That is why your client is seeing all of them.

The problem is, that jira-users is a basic group. It is used in general for the basic permissions, such as login etc.

You have to create a new group for your internal users. Do not add your client's people to that group! Let's call it "internal" here.

Then create a new permission scheme as a copy of your existing permission scheme, name it e.g. "all except client x".

Then replace every occurence of "jira-users" with your new group "internal" in the new permission scheme "all except client x".

After that, add this permission scheme to all projects that client x should not see.

Cindy Sobus November 9, 2018

Can I ask a question?  If Project A group was created for the new group wouldn't you just remove them from the jira-software group?  Couldn't Project A group then be excluded from all Projects as needed or do you still need to have multiple permission schemes as well?  I may be misunderstanding some of this but do have a similar issue so this information is helpful.  Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2018

If you remove them from the jira-software group, then they can no longer log in to use it.  The problem is the default that a single group has been used to say "can log in" and in the permission schemes for "see this project".  You have to separate that out, so that everyone you need to log in can log in, but only certain people can see certain projects.

Suggest an answer