How do you enter a customer in Jira Portfolio?

Jo February 5, 2015

How do you enter a customer in Jira Portfolio?

I get that an epic or an initiative will be a project.. 

stories will be parts of projects or smaller work

how do I put in the customer in Portfolio ?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2015

Next to the approach of creating customers as an Initiative, which is a good idea, other implementations I've seen used one release stream per customer. This is a natural fit if for each customer you have dedicated milestones/commitments (releases), and it allows to tag the backlog by customer by assigning them to the according stream and release. 

Below are some screenshots from an example data set modelled with this approach: Every customer is a release stream entry, with customer-specific milestones. The backlog items are assigned to these streams/releases. 

The timeline can then be broken down by these streams to see what is scheduled, per customer. 

That said, it really depends on the process and the definition of a customer, whether there are independent releases per customer etc. 

image2015-2-6 12:26:51.png

image2015-2-6 12:29:24.png

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2015

Gets my vote!

Jo February 5, 2015

Thank you both, this helps a lot.. So basically we could map like this : A. customer = initiative project = epic and then if you want to put a release for a customer, how do you "translate" it in Portfolio terms? also - if you want to work a schedule/roadmap/release for a product or internal app - would you consider that an epic in an internal initiative? B, customer = release stream . same questions as for point A - how would you "translate" product releases ( which can apply to more than one customer), What if you want to create a release schedule specific for the customer? Also - could you give me an example on how you define the themes you use?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2015

If you want to work a schedule/roadmap/release for a product or internal app or a customer, It would suggest creating a JIRA project for it. And create those releases in the JIRA project. You can then pull those releases in to Portfolio streams. Streams can be created - one for each project - or for something bigger, depending on how you model them. We usually use themes for different business areas - products, services, R&D etc but that is just one way of doing it. You set the expectations on themes and so it will be the top most level.

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

Portfolio doesn't have a metadata called Customer. But it depends on the process really. For our services team, we usually create a customer as an initiative and the major pieces of work goes as Epics under that.

Note that the "Protfolio Epic" doesn't necessarily have to be "JIRA Agile Epic"!

Suggest an answer