How do you create/send out a notification to the new "reporter" when the reporter field is updated?

Marc Malan October 23, 2017

I want the new reporter of a jira issue to be notified when he becomes the reporter on an already existing jira ticket

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2017

By default on most permission schemes, the reporter is set to be notified of events such as Issue Assigned.  Hence the new reporter will get an email notification provided your notification scheme is set to notify the reporter on that event.  When you are changing the reporter of an issue, the new reporter is expected to be notified if your notification scheme has reporter listed in that Issue Assigned event.

Adding, editing, and deleting notification schemes has an overview of how you can set this up or check to make sure that your current notification scheme is setup this way.

Marc Malan October 24, 2017

Hi Andrew, as far as I can see the "Issue Assigned" only sends out notifications for a new Assignee not a new reporter, can you confirm that it will send a notification if the reporter is updated?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2017

Marc,

You are completely correct.  I made a mistake in my previous reply.   I have confused the reporter and assignee in this case.

The notification event that you would want to use would instead be "Issue Updated".   In order to change the reporter on an existing issue, you have to edit the issue to do so.  In that case when you update the reporter field, the new reporter would be expected to get a notification, provided that Reporter is setup to be notified of issue edits.

Sorry for the confusion of my previous reply.  I hope this helps.

Andy

Marc Malan October 29, 2017

Thanks Andrew, no worries at all. I have also seen that, however we only want the notification to be sent out when the Reporter field is edited, not any of the others. The reporters are being spammed with issues being edited which is an issue hence why we want it to be restricted to one field.

Marc Malan November 1, 2017

any update?

Suggest an answer