How do you convert a task with subtasks to an epic with issues?

Kelly Johnson July 28, 2017

I have a task with 7 sub-tasks. It turns out that the scope is now too big for one sprint. I need to convert the task into an epic, with each sub task being a task on that epic. Sounds like a totally resonable thing, right? How do you do it?

1 answer

4 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2017

Hi Kelly,

The subtasks need to be converted to tasks first. To do so, enter the subtask's detailed view, and then click on More > Convert to issue. Depending on the JIRA version, it might be displayed an ellypsis [...] button instead of the More button.

Once all subtasks had been converted into tasks, enter the task that you'd like to convert into an epic and click on More > Move. Leave the project unchanged and just change the type from task to epic.

Finally, associate the tasks with the epic.

Kelly Johnson July 30, 2017

Obviouslly you can manually, painstakingly do all these things. That's not the question. This should be a normal workflow. I'm looking for a button that moves an issue to epic and automatically upgrades and accociates it's sub-tasks.

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Bernardo January 19, 2018

I guess u already found a solution already :p

I just run into the same situation as you and found a more straight forward way to do it, maybe useful for others 

Anil Manohar Mohapatra May 4, 2020

Thank you team for solving the same

Suggest an answer