How do you configure the JIRA Toolkit plugin?

Andrew DeFaria January 26, 2015

I installed the JIRA Toolkit plugin but none of the custom fields show up. I think it's because I need to configure it post-install. Unfortunately I can't do that post-install configuration right now because according to JIRA Toolkit Plugin Wiki:

Installation

1 Download the jar and install in the appropriate plugin directory

a. If you are using Toolkit 0.8 or later (on JIRA 4.0 or later) - place it in your plugins2 installation directory (<jira-home>/plugins/installed-plugins/)

b. If you are using Toolkit 0.7 or earlier (on JIRA 3.13 or earlier) - place it in your webapp's lib folder (For Standalone/Tomcat it is in the WEB-INF/lib dir)
  2 Restart JIRA
  3 Enable the plugin as shown here
  4 New custom field types will now be available to your system
  5 Add a new custom field of the types you want in your system from the "Admin" > "Issue Fields" > "Custom Fields"
  6 Reindex JIRA. This is quite important as most of the custom fields are "calculated" custom fields, which means until you reindex, the values will not be valid.

But, unfortunately, here is a dead link.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2015

Ah, that page you refer to is really unclear that the toolkit installation instructions are now actually "use the marketplace to install it"

You'll note that the versions on that page only go up to JIRA 4.3, if you're on a later version of Jira, use the marketplace (or, at least, go there to find the version that is right for your version of Jira.).  I suspect the fields are not showing up because the toolkit is not loading properly, if you're using a version from that page!

Once you've got the right version, steps 4, 5 and 6 are still correct...

Andrew DeFaria January 26, 2015

OK, I was confused. I did install from the marketplace however I thought, after installing this plugin, we'd see new fields. We don't. Instead we see new field types and we need to make the fields. I wasn't expecting that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2015

That dug up a memory from <mumble> years ago. That was *exactly* what I did when I first installed it - the difference between a "custom field" and a "custom field type" was not clear to me at all and it's flummoxed a lot of other people too.

Suggest an answer