How do you comment on images in JIRA like you do in Confluence

Tom Napper June 4, 2015

Is there a way in JIRA to add comments or feedback on files/images as you can do in Confluence?

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2015/02/introducing-new-feedback-loop-confluence-5-7/

My use case would be:

As a watcher of an issue I would like to add comments directly to a PDF/JPG that is attached to the issue to make sure the Assignee clearly understands the minute visual changes that need to be made, without downloading a PDF or JPG, ediiting, and reuploading.

2 answers

0 votes
Tom Napper June 4, 2015

Thought so. It was worth a shot.

"JIRA is an issue tracker, the focus is on tracking things to do through a process"

Exactly. I'm trying to improve our process for getting Issues done. Our process requires that legal review user facing content and supply feedback on trademark and legal risk. We have been sending Legal PDFs of our work in an email which is cumbersome at best. Our attempt was to get feedback within the issue and not in an email.

Sounds like this is:

1. Not something that can be accomplished in the same manner as Confluence
  2. Commenting on attachments is not part of a development process of getting things done and should not be expected to be part of JIRA.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2015

You don't.  That's a new feature for Confluence based on the idea that confluence is a wiki, suited for writing documents with embedded images and lots of text.  It makes a lot of sense to think of wiki pages as documents upon which you would want to add comments at specific places.  It was the big announcement for Confluence 5.7

JIRA is an issue tracker, the focus is on tracking things to do through a process.  Commenting on attachments isn't really something anyone needs particularly, the content is not the main focus, it's the process.

For your use case, the usual expectation is that the discussion you're having would form a set of requirements, which you'd document in Confluence.

Suggest an answer