How do you check what user has made changes in JIRA? (Workflows, Transitions, Custom Fields, etc.)

Is there a way to see what users are making changes in JIRA? I know it might be too general of a question so I'm more interested in users who are making changes to workflows transitions, states, etc.

3 answers

0 vote
Joe Pitt Community Champion May 01, 2015

It might be in the log. However, you should have a limited number of people able to make those kind of changes and I STRONGLY suggest you use standard change control processes to review, approve, and implement ALL changes. I've often put up a JIRA Change Request project with a type select list of update select list, add field, add project, modify workflow, modify screen, add workflow, add screen, and such. I've often found people wanting a field added to their project that already exists, they just didn't know because it was created for a project they don't use.

0 vote

I'd enable the audit log, then you'll be able to track admin activities.

... and what Joe says - track the changes in JIRA with a JIRA project.

Check the Audit Log, in Admin / System. This will let you see changes to project roles, workflows and more.

Also, Joe is right. As an admin, it's a problem if users make change to configs without your knowledge. It's much harder politically to remove admin rights to a user, but if users you can't trust are messing up your config, this has to be done.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

763 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you