How do you change column names in JQL?

Dino T January 7, 2020

I have JQL written below, that gives me some applicable records

project = XYZ AND status = Done AND resolution in (Unresolved, Done, "Won't Do") ORDER BY cf[10310] DESC, cf[12100] ASC, cf[12601] DESC, priority DESC, updated DESC

How do i incorporate a column name change in the above JQL such that my column name appears as defined, such as :

AND ("Issue Name" ="Issue_Name")

4 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

The column names returned in the issue navigator are the names of the fields you've chosen to view it in it.

JQL is not SQL, all it is intended for is returning a list of issues that match a search.  

It is up to the functions that are using it to format it for people.  The issue navigator (and hence exports) have no functions for arbitrary renames, so you will only ever get the plain field names.

0 votes
Justin Hume October 19, 2022

I think what the poster is trying to achieve is putting a more meaningful name into a Confluence /Jira macro.  For example, I've created a Jira table with fields "Summary" and "Status" just to show a list of in-scope Epics.  I've put multiple such Macros into a table.  The field " Summary" becomes meaningless - it would be great to override this column name with say the Epic/Theme, or something even more specific (free text). 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2022

It's the same answer - the field names you get are the names of the fields you have chosen to display.  It would be misleading to change the names arbitrarily.

0 votes
Minh Tran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2020

I don't think you can do this with JQL. The JQL just only returns the column name you chose to display

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2020

I'm not sure I understand your inquiry here. JQL query will return a list of issues matching your query. The columns shown are defined by the columns you have chosen to display. The titles of the columns will be defined by the field names, you cannot change these.

can you clarify what is going on?

Suggest an answer