How do you change Rule Actor Permissions in JIRA Cloud so hyperlinks open the issue in question

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2020

As per the comment.

JIRA Cloud Automation for JIRA forces the rule actor to be Automation app user, however, it's unclear where the permissions (or the account) exists for Automation app user.

My many slack notifications send 'functional' links that ask you to log in when you click them, but you can't give permissions (it just brings you back to the same page) because the Automation app user doesn't have an account, and you cannot use any other account.

Anyone else figured out where / how to enabled the links to work (that is, how do I give the rule actor permissions to at least Open the alert links I am sending?)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2020

I've been able to solve this with Atlassian's help.  The issue is related to SMART VALUES.
I was using the example structure for the message found on the Automation for Jira site - however, the smart values are...smart, and I didn't understand what it was actually doing.

Instead of using {{issue.key}} (with a base URL before it), I need to be using {{issue.url}} and not forcing the instance URL.  

So, there were two problems, slack messages were trying to access the wrong instance of jira (wrong URL), and it was using a valid but not as useful (in my scenario) smart value.  

If you see this, replace the whole baseurl{{issue.key}} thing with just {{issue.url}}in the message payload, and it should send valid links.

Thanks Atlassian!

0 votes
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

Small self-update.  I'm working with Atlassian Support, it appears there is a permission granted to groups that has something to do with why this occurs.
It's still not functioning as expected for me, but if you're reading this and are seeing the same thing(s), check out the atlassian-addon-browse-project permission. It should apparently be granted to the administrators group, which I think means that Atlassian Addons would have admin powers. 

I'll update my thread again when this is solved.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

This was a red herring.  Just use {{issue.url}} (only that) as part of the message payload instead of using <baseurl>{{issue.key}}|{{issue.key}

Suggest an answer