How do you automatically e-mail issue key back to non-user upon issue creation?

Kevin McNamee February 27, 2014

Hi,

we have the following use case which I am guessing is common enough:

A non-user e-mails a problem/request into JIRA. This creates a new issue. In order to have subsequent e-mails inserted as comments and not create more new issues, the non-user needs to include the issue key in follow-up e-mails.

So, the non-user needs to somehow get an ACK e-mail back with the issue key. This I believe should be done automatically: "Hi, your issue has been registered as ABC-1234. Please use this when ....."

I would expect the functionality to do this in JIRA (OnDemand) would be as follows:

The sender's e-mail address is mapped to a custom field (e.g. "Sender's e-mail") by the Mail Handler. The Notification Scheme will use the custom field to send an e-mail to the sender upon issue creation.

What's missing it seems is that it is not possible to configure the Mail Handler to save the sender e-mail address in a field. Yes, a new user can be created, but these are in principle anonymous users that will only register issues once or twice, ever.

Furthermore, the Notification Scheme does not allow free text fields as the source of an e-mail address. (Only Group Picker or Multi Group Picker are allowed according to the docs).

Have a missed something? Is it possible to implement this use case?

Best regards,
Kevin McNamee

1 answer

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2014

Hi Kevin, i think you may want/need to write your own custom mail handler.

This class can be copied from Atlassian;s existing examples, and modified to save the senders email in a custom field.

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Custom+Message+%28Mail%29+Handler+for+JIRA

http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/api/javax/mail/Message.html

Kevin McNamee March 5, 2014

I am guessing this will not be possible to do in the OnDemand version.

Suggest an answer