How do you assign a JIRA ticket to a specific non-project lead user at creation?

davidcsonka July 16, 2015

When creating a new ticket, I'd like to be able to manually assign the ticket to a specific user.

It seems like the default set up for JIRA is that when creating a new ticket it is either automatically assigned to the project leader, or is unassigned. Or you set up a post transition rule to automatically assign it to somebody based on the issue type or project or something.

For my needs, this can not be automated. Each ticket needs to be assigned to a different person on a case by case basis, and I'd like to be able to assign the ticket to the right person when I'm actually creating the ticket.

The current system adds more steps by not letting me assign the ticket to whom I want it to go to in the first screen. How can I modify this?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

Change the "create" screen and ensure the assignee field is on it.  You'll also need to ensure you have the "assign issues" permission

davidcsonka July 17, 2015

Thank you for you help, I have it working now!

1 vote
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2015

Hi David,

Did you try adding the field Assignee to Create Issue screen?

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 16, 2015

I don't really get your problem. You simply have to add the "assignee" filed to the screen that's associated with the particular create issue operation in your screen scheme. When you se the assignee field you can pick the desired assignee. It will only be assigned to the project / component lead (or unassigned) if the project is configured that way.

You have to make sure though that the desired people have the "assignable user" permission in the permission scheme associated with your project.

Did that make sense?

Cheers

Christian

Suggest an answer