How do we import users from a single LDAP group?

Poonam Vartak April 15, 2015

We are importing users for authentication from LDAP.
Security groups will be created in JIRA. so, basically we are using "Internal directory with LDAP Authentication" option.

How do we import users from a single LDAP group? where do we configure and run the import so that we dont have to create users manually?

1 answer

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2015

You can not import users like that. What you could do is configure Internal directory with LDAP Authentication, and use the LDAP filters to only import the users from that one group. Details on setting it up can be found at: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+an+Internal+Directory+with+LDAP+Authentication

I did that configuration. Test was successful but I dont want to enable Copy User on Login option. 

I dont see any users from a security group. how to I import the users?

I got this url: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA060/Importing+user+from+LDAP

But I am not sure where to place ldap.properties file and the current binary distribution link is broken too.

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2015

That document should no longer exist as far as I know. I have contacted the docs team to confirm, but that is a procedure for a very old version of JIRA. You can use the Internal Directory with Authentication with Copy User disabled. As for getting the users to show up, you will need to work with your LDAP admin to find the right LDAP queries to return the right users. If you have a valid support license, we can also assist with the configuration.

Thank you Boris. I submitted a support ticket

Poonam Vartak April 16, 2015

We have LDAPS so I imported SSL certificates for LDAP server. But, I got error when testing LDAP configuration: Connection test failed. Response from the server: simple bind failed: <ldap_urL>:636; nested exception is javax.naming.CommunicationException: simple bind failed: <ldap_urL>:636 [Root exception is javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target] Next I checked for java - # java -version -bash: java: command not found

Suggest an answer