How do we add roles to existing projects?

Pritam Rao June 8, 2016

We are using jira-cloud and have a few projects already in place. Recently we added a bunch of additional roles that are supposed to be part of every project. I know that every new project created henceforth will inherit these roles automatically but how can i add these roles to existing projects? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

From Project Administration -> Project Roles -> Add a new Project Role, you can add a new project role which appears commonly for all the existing projects automatically.

To view this, navigate to any of your project, Project Administration - > Roles.

Then, you can add users into that role, which is project specific.

Pritam Rao June 8, 2016

I am not seeing the new roles getting added to existing projects.

Here are my global project roles: I added Automation and Read only

GlobalProjectRoles.png

Here are the roles for an existing project (the new ones are not there): 

ProjectRole-redacted.jpeg

whats strange is that when i create a new project now, I only get those newly added 2 roles:

NewProjectRole-Redacted.jpeg

Am i missing something here?

Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

True, it is strange! However, I just wanna confirm your navigation is right. 

Please go to Projects -> Choose Project -> Click on Roles on the left panel. It displays all the users in specific roles with respect to the project.

I believe, you are confused with the Roles in administration. Kindly crosscheck.

Hope you are at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/managing-project-role-membership-802592468.html (under section: Viewing project role members) instead of https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/managing-project-role-membership-185729456.html (see screenshot under section: Viewing project role members). Eagerly waiting for the results! smile

Pritam Rao June 10, 2016

Thanks Mahesh,

I think we are on the same page. BTW we are using JIRA cloud and menu options are slightly different. I think i have figured it out though. Just to confirm,

Scenario:

1)I have a few projects in JIRA that have roles and users already set up.

2)It has been decided to add 2 new global roles(with default members in each) to be associated with every project (new and existing).

Expected:

the newly added roles get associated with every project - new and existing.

Actual:

After adding these 2 global roles, it looks like:

1)Newly added projects automatically get those 2 roles (and their associated default members tied to that role)

2)There are no changes to existing projects i.e. the newly added roles aren't getting inherited.. 

Explanation:

It looks like roles gets automatically associated with newly created projects ONLY if they have default members associated with them. For roles with no default members, they do NOT get added to projects - i.e. you have to manually include that group by adding users to that group via the Add users to a role button.

For existing projects, regardless of whether they have default users or not, it seems that you have to manually create the groups by using the Add user to role button. Fortunately I don't have too many projects to correct, but it would have been nice if the newly created roles (with default members) would have automatically propagated to existing projects as well just like it did for newly created projects.

Like Stine Søndergaard likes this
Mahesh S
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2016

Thanks for sharing your experience! It is a good learning and understanding on JIRA cloud for me. smile

Suggest an answer