How do i sync statuses of user story and tasks in the Jira Workflow?

Ashwin Kupatkar April 11, 2016

For example:- Considering default workflow for JIRA. I have a user story "Story 1" and its linked tasks are    "Task 1","Task 2","Task 3".

Initially my "Story 1" and "Task1","Task 2","Task 3" are in "To Do" State.

Now that i move all of my tasks' to "InProgress" state. So what i expect is that my "Story 1" status should also move to "InProgress" state.

Is it possible? and How?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2016

You will need to find/write a listener or post-function that can be added to a new workflow that will pick up when a sub-task is transitioned, read the parent and check the other sub-tasks, then move the Story through the required transition(s) to get it into the right status.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will check into that.

Hi Nic,

Where will i add this Post Function in the Workflow? went through the Docs , but unable to find post functions in the Properties Panel in JIRA on cloud instance.

Hi Nic ,

Just giving you an idea of my scenario. So that you get a thorough insight into it.

I have 2 boards.

1) Board 1 for "User Stories"

2) Board 2 for "Tasks".

These "Tasks" are linked to the "User Stories" in Board 1.

Now my Board 1 has workflow in this manner

( Backlog-> Analysis-> Developement-> QA-> Completed->Release )

Board 2 has workflow

(To Do -> Ready to Work -> In Progress -> On Hold -> Done)

What i want is that , Whenever i move my story from Backlog to Analysis Phase associated tasks should remain in To Do stage and when the User Story is moved from Analysis to Developement stage all of the associated tasks should move to Ready to Work Stage.

Also when a user logs work against his/her task the task should automatically move to                  In Progress stage and when the user completes the task it should move to Done stage also the associated User Story should also move to QA Stage. 

How can it be achieved?

Also i find that configuring listeners is not supported by JIRA Cloud.

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Sorry, I didn't see the "cloud" flag when I first answered.

Post-functions are done in the workflow, not a "properties box", but that's not important - there are no post-functions for Cloud that can do this.  You need an add-on to provide some dedicated code, or something like the Script Runner which can give a framework to write code in

Like Loken Garviel likes this
Ashwin Kupatkar April 12, 2016

Ok Nic. 

Will check that.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer