How do i set up automated work tasks/tickets when contacted by other IT/Business teams?

Tara Dixon October 8, 2019

I have been asked to look at how we can centrally manage all work requests coming into the team.

Teams workloads and work requests currently come via various routes such as personal emails and shared mailboxes from other IT and Business Teams.

It has been agreed within the team that the solution would be to manage the work via Jira.

Can you advise how I can set up a process which allows all work requests to come via one channel into Jira please?  Within this process I would like to set up automated work tasks/tickets to be generated when a new request comes into the team so that the work can be allocated to the right person and also update the requestor that a ticket/request has been received ?

2 answers

0 votes
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Hi, @Tara Dixon

IN admin>inbox mail you can define mail servers POP or IMAP.

After that, you need to create (in the same page) mail handlers refering to those mail servers. You can define what you want to do with every email arriving too that IMAP or POP folder. You can tell jira to create an issue with the issuetype you want in the project you choose.

If you get the different emails in diferent servers/folders the rest is fairly easy.

There are plugins (Jira Email This Issue for instance) that can give you more options in configuration of both, incoming and outgoing mails.

On the other side, what you are telling could probably fit better a Jira Service Desk application than a  Jira Server one in case you don't have the license yet.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

To be able to more completely provide guidance we would need more details of how your team works. With that said here are some points to consider.

1. you mention “one channel” but with Jira you can have multiple channels for creating/updating issue, e.g. via the application UI, email and API. The UI is most popular and allows issues to be easily created and updated and is feature rich whereas the email offers convenience but restrictive.
  2. consider using Components and Component leads which will allow issues to be automatically assigned to users based upon the component selected at creation.
  3. consider use of dashboards and Kanban boards for ease of communication and staying on top of issues.

my best recommendation is to set up a project and play with it and change as needs change.

Suggest an answer