How do i set the first day of week so that startofweek() returns Monday instead of Sunday?

Peter Freak December 12, 2012

Server and Local computer both have same correct locale and have Monday as first day of week.

Using JIRA 5.2.1

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Freak December 17, 2012

Australia locale appears set as Sunday first day.

To override, need to set JVM parameters on Jira service to language and country that is set for Monday e.g. Germany

-Duser.language=de

-Duser.country=DE

Make sure there are no spaces after the parameters.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2012

Stress on that last line "Make sure there are no spaces after the parameters." ;)

Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2016

To add to this, it depends on the Java locale that is configured - by default Java picks up the locale of the operating system, and subsequently JIRA picks that up. If we take a look at http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/time/temporal/WeekFields.html, it shows us:

• ISO-8601 starts on Monday.
  • Everything else starts on Sunday.

I haven't been able to find a definitive list of which locales are ISO-8601 - it appears Germany is one. smile

2 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2012

Try endOfWeek(-5d) or endOfWeek(-6d)

0 votes
Rebecca B. Weiss February 21, 2017

I agree with Mizan.  If you want the current week to be Mon-Sun, use "startOfWeek(1d), endOfWeek(1d)".  If you want the previous week to be Mon-Sun, use "(startOfWeek(-6d), endOfWeek(-6d))", and so on.  smile  Easy!

Manupriya S September 15, 2019

Hi @Rebecca B. Weiss  could you please suggest what should I write in query to view the list of Jira tasks which have been updated on just a Day ago but it should not show the results on monday if the ticket was updated on friday. That is i need to avoid weekends.

0 votes
Radek Antoniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2017
0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2012

Please go through this ticket, this includes steps to change the start day of the week to Monday.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-9048

NOTE: Please test this activity on our test environment and make sure you backup the files before make any changes

My files are a bit different to what is referenced in JRA-9048, so perhaps i need to remove the '-1' ???

the macros.vm has $firstDay = $currentCalendar.firstDayOfWeek - 1

the datepicker2.jsp has firstDay : <%= Calendar.getInstance(locale).getFirstDayOfWeek()-1 %

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 12, 2012

All you need to do is -

• Go to <install-jira>/atlassian-jira/webapps/includes/lib/calendar.
    • Open the Calendar.js file.
    • Look for the line -
      this.firstDayOfWeek = typeof firstDayOfWeek == "number" ? firstDayOfWeek : Calendar._FD; // 0 for Sunday, 1 for Monday, etc.
    • Remoe the above line and add the below line instead -
this.firstDayOfWeek = 1; 

Restart your JIRA and check whether you can see the start date ofy of the week set to Monday. This worked for me!

This has changed the issue due date picker so it now shows Mon-Sun correctly, but the startofweek() function is still set to Sunday

hmm query for Due = StartOfWeek() still returns issue with due date on Sunday

Suggest an answer