How do i restrict JIRA administrators to create, edit or delete issues?

NoahH May 17, 2017

My application is connected with JIRA via Application Link and is using OAuth scheme for user authentication. So far so good. The main idea of app was to continiously provide info in realtime about issue changes to the application user. For this purpose, I was using rest api for creating a webhook during configuration process in app. Using webhook rest api requires JIRA Administrator permissions, and this is constantly frightening some users during the OAuth dance, because they believe that app can "hack" JIRA instance.

One way to solve this is to rid off the automatic webhook creation during configuration flow, and ask user to create it themselfs. 

But, maybe there is a way to create such JIRA Administrators like group, whose users can only have read permissions on jira issues, but can work with webhooks via rest api?

1 answer

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

I don't think that is currently possible. A possible approach is to build a simple add-on for JIRA and move that webhook creation logic into the add-on which internally exposes a single api for your app to consume. You can then have a validation in the api to check for `current logged in user` to belong to a specific group in JIRA to determine if the user has rights. 

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/REST+Plugin+Module

Suggest an answer