How do i migrate a particular project from Jira server to Jira cloud?

sfkewong wong January 15, 2018

I am working on migrating a particular project in Jira server to Jira cloud. Cannot seems to find a way to do so in Jira. It is important that i keep the history of the Jira issues once migrated to the Jira cloud.

1 answer

0 votes
LeKisha Boswell January 15, 2018

JIRA cloud does not offer a project import; however, there are some workarounds depending on if you are migrating to a new instance or one with exisiting data that you want to preserve.

One option is to import a CSV file into JIRA cloud with data exported from JIRA Server. You may not be able to reserve all the history associated to the project but you can certainly maintain attachments.

Another option as outlined by Atlasssian is as follows:

"If the target instance has nothing to be kept (clean new instance):
  • You can prepare a full export of your backup with attachments using the JIRA Backup Manager as per exporting issues.
  • Import the backup generated above to your new Cloud instance as per How to restore a JIRA Cloud Application Backup into Another JIRA Cloud Application.
  • Delete any unwanted projects.
  • Disable users which are not needed (as it will import all users from the destination instance) by removing them from all groups and application access."

You can find additional information here if the targeted instance has some data you want to maintain.

Other Helpful Documentation: 

From Server Application to JIRA Cloud

JIRA: Server to Cloud

Suggest an answer